Grapes from California: Top-of-Mind with Consumers
Good news! Consumers love California grapes. In fact, recent researchi shows that grapes are the third most popular fruit in the U.S., a place they have held for 10 straight years. Other consumer research highlights include:
Shopper attitudes regarding purchasing grapes
- 94% of primary shoppers in the U.S. prefer grapes grown in California vs. another country when prices are the same. 69% say they still prefer California grapes even if they’re priced higher than grapes from other origins.ii
- Two-thirds of U.S. and Canadian consumers consider grapes a “staple” purchase.iii
- A majority of U.S. consumers – 59% – eat grapes at least once a week.iv
- In the U.S., a household’s primary shopper is the one most often eating grapes (88%).
- 80% of primary grocery shoppers purchase grapes in the U.S.
Shopper attitudes regarding grapes and health
- Most shoppers in the U.S. and Canada recognize that grapes have healthful properties, including that they contain antioxidants.v
- Most consumers in the U.S. and Canada say they are making an effort to eat disease-fighting foods.
- Most consumers in the U.S. and Canada consider grapes a healthy snack choice.
- A majority of consumers in the U.S. and Canada make a shopping list in advance and pre-plan specific fruit purchases.
- Almost half (42%) of U.S. consumers who pre-plan specific fruit purchases include grapes on their shopping list. (33% for Canada).
- Ads are important for this group!
Top shopping resources among grape purchasers:vi
· In-store sales or coupons (55%)
· Printed circulars in the mail, newspaper or at grocery store (54%)
· Emailed ads, offers or deals from grocery store (27%)
· Social media (27%)
· Websites (27%)
· Mobile phone apps (26%)
- Almost half of U.S. (45%) and Canadian (48%) consumers decide to buy grapes once they are in the store.vii
- Beautiful and well-stocked grape displays will attract consumer attention.
Take a look at the summary of our Category Research for information about how to target your promotion efforts to most appeal to your grape purchasers.
i Fresh Trends 2016 U.S. consumer survey.
ii California Table Grape Commission: US Omnibus Survey, January 2016. Fleishman Hillard.
iii California Table Grape Commission: US and Canada Attitude and Usage Survey, January 2014. Fleishman Hillard.
iv California Table Grape Commission: US Omnibus Survey, January 2016. Fleishman Hillard.
v California Table Grape Commission: US and Canada Attitude and Usage Survey, January 2014. Fleishman Hillard.
vi California Table Grape Commission: US Omnibus Survey, January 2016. Fleishman Hillard.
vii California Table Grape Commission: US and Canada Attitude and Usage Survey, January 2014. Fleishman Hillard.